Greater Boston North
Responsible for defining, designing, and implementing complex mechanisms, assemblies and structures for optical and laser based imaging products. Develops system architectures in conjunction with optical and electrical engineers that meet established requirements for weight, balance, size, rigidity and thermal stability. Conducts investigations or tests of considerable complexity. Plans, directs and reviews progress of major projects.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Lead design activity and provide technical leadership for major projects. Must possess ability to provide technical guidance to other engineers. Participate in multiple projects simultaneously.
• Perform technology assessment through background research and investigatory experimentation. Evaluate technology alternatives.
• Participate in the architectural development of a product, and in particular, the mechanical subsystem, performing and sometimes coordinating complex performance tradeoffs involving other disciplines. Prepare detailed technical specifications for mechanical subsystems.
• Participate in technical reviews and assess technical risks associated with designs.
• Resolve product/process problems and support development of new products/processes.
• Release designs through configuration control into manufacturing. Create documentation and detail drawings as required. Verify conformance to cost goal.
• Play a role in capturing funded imaging sensor investigatory and design programs. Participate in proposal activity.
• Provide significant contributions to new product development, including patents, technical papers, and presentations.
• Promote the advancement of mechanical engineering design capability by instructing and mentoring lower level engineers on a regular basis.
Typically requires at least a BSME degree plus a minimum of 15 or more years of related experience. MSME preferred. Requires extensive hands-on mechanical design experience that includes: structural analysis, tight tolerance opto-mechanical design, casting design and coordinating vendor/tooling tasks. Experience with leading a major project, proposal activity, technical papers, and presentations are also required. Must have strong computer skills with a version of PC-based CAD, CAE, and general office software. Must have several years experience with application of finite element analysis (structural required, thermal preferred) to optimize design. Must have proven experience in working with a multi-disciplined team of engineers, i.e., mechanical, electrical, optical, systems and software.